If you cannot use QuickBooks because of some issues with QBDBMgrN (QuickBooks Database Server Manager) service, you are not alone. Several QuickBooks users face this issue while running QuickBooks on Windows operating systems. QB support forums are flooded with user queries like “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer and “QuickBooks Database Server Manager Stopped.” Such errors where QBDBMgrN service failed to start or won’t open indicate that the Windows firewall is interrupting the service and blocking its connection to the internet. However, the good news is that you can quickly fix the problem by configuring the Windows firewall and its ports. Make sure to follow every step cautiously, as a single mistake can result in data loss. Follow the complete article for detailed instructions.
What does QBDBMgrN Not Running on this Computer Error Message Means?
Before we discuss why QuickBooks Database Server Manager Stopped on Windows?, You must first understand what QBDBMgrN or QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service is and why it is used to run QuickBooks. QBDBMgrN is a utility developed by Intuit that allows more than one user to access the database and the company file stored on the file-hosting server simultaneously. If the QBDBMgrN service is not running on your computer or is disabled for some reason, then you can only use QuickBooks in Single-user mode means, it won’t switch to multi-user mode, and doing so will trigger an error that reads “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer” or “Windows Firewall: Disabled exceptions not defined“when you switch QB to Multi-user mode.
QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service under Task Manager
QBDBMgrN is an executable process on Windows with a .exe extension, and you can see the process running in the task manager of your computer. Follow our article Fix Multi-User Mode Errors for detailed instructions on troubleshooting common errors while setting up multi-user mode in QuickBooks.
Also Read: QuickBooks POS Database Server Not Found
What Reasons Triggers QBDBMgrN not running on this Computer Error Message?
The error usually occurs when you try to install QuickBooks update or while trying to upgrade it to a newer version and the Windows firewall is still not updated, this causes the firewall to detect QBDBMgrN service as unknown service and it blocks its access to the internet. When you repair your company file and network using QuickBooks File Doctor, it displays an error message “Repair the following network problems before accessing your company file from other computers on the network *QBDBMgrN not running on this computer.”
QuickBooks Database Server Manager is not Available
QBFD can resolve networks problems, but it cannot configure the firewall, which is the root cause of the problem. Instead, we must manually set the firewall and its ports to allow QDSM to connect with the internet.
How to Fix QBDBMgrN not Running on this Computer Error?
Fix 1: Install Windows Firewall Updates
Installing the Windows Firewall updates will get you the latest security updates and patches. Updating the firewall also ensures that the Firewall is not erroneously blocking QuickBooks from accessing the company file.
- Press Windows + R key together and type Control Panel in the Run window.
- Press Enter and click the System and Security option.
- Alternatively, you can also use the “firewall.cpl” command to open the firewall settings.
- Select Windows Firewall and click Check for Updates under the Update your Firewall Settings section.
- If Windows find any updates, click the Update Now and Use Recommended Settings option and wait until you get all the updates.
- Restart your computer and open QuickBooks again.
IMPORTANT: If you are having any issues updating the firewall or if you are getting an error, then you can manually update the firewall by downloading the update files. There are separate update files for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows operating systems. Download and open the updates from the links below and follow the on-screen instructions to install the updates. You can find a complete guide to manually downloading and installing Windows firewall updates here.
Download Windows updates for 32 Bit Windows
Download Windows updates for 64 Bit Windows
Follow the next troubleshooting step if you are still getting the “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer” error message in QuickBooks File Doctor.
Fix 2: Restart QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service
QuickBooks Database Server Manager is the primary component behind Multi-User mode. Restarting QBDBMgrN’s service is a possible troubleshooting method to resolve errors generated by faults in it.
- Press Windows + letter R key on your keyboard to open the Run window.
- Type Services.msc in the Run box and press Enter.
- Scroll down and search for QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service listed as either QuickBooksDB28, QuickBooksDB27, or QuickBooksDB26, where 28 stands for the 2018 version, 27 for 2017, and 26 for the 2016 version of QuickBooks, and the same implies to QuickBooks 2020 version.
- Right-click the proper QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service and select Restart.
- Try to open QuickBooks again and if you still can’t run QuickBooks, try the following troubleshooting solution.
NOTE: While trying to start the QuickBooks services, you get an error message “The QuickBooksDB26 Service on Local Computer started then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.” then you will need to update your Windows Firewall. Follow the steps mentioned below to install the latest Windows updates.
Fix 3: Install Latest Windows Updates
- Press Windows + R to get the Run dialogue box.
- Type Control firewall.cpl in the text box and press Enter.
- If the updates are available, click Update Now and make sure you are using the Recommended Settings.
- After you install the updates, restart your Windows PC and try to reaccess the company file.
Fix 4: Add QBDBMgrN Service to Firewall and its Ports
- Follow troubleshooting steps 2 and 4 from our article QuickBooks Update Error 12029 for detailed instructions on adding QuickBooks to the exclusion list of your Windows Firewall.
- Exclude QBDBMgrN.exe file located in C:\ Program Files\ Intuit\ QuickBooks folder.
- Save the settings in the firewall and try using QuickBooks once again.
NOTE: If you are using a firewall other than Windows, then you might need to contact the firewall provider to get the exact instructions on excluding QuickBooks Database Server Manager Stopped from their firewall’s blocking list, as there are numerous firewalls available to the user we can’t mention the steps for each firewall in this article.
Fix 5: Repair QuickBooks Desktop Application
A possible reason for getting issues running Multi-User mode in QuickBooks is damage in the QuickBooks installation files. Running a repair of the application can immediately help you resolve the error.
- Press Windows + R on the keyboard and type appwiz.cpl in the Run window.
- Press Enter and locate QuickBooks in the list of installed programs.
- Select QuickBooks and click Uninstall/Change.
- Click Continue and then Next.
- Choose Repair and then click Next.
- Wait until the repair process completes.
- Click Finish and restart Windows.
Fix 6: Reinstall QuickBooks using Clean Install Tool
Clean installing QuickBooks will get you a fresh new copy of QuickBooks on your system. This will eliminate all the minor glitches that you can’t fix repairing the application. Before reinstalling QuickBooks, it is always suggested to take a backup of the QuickBooks company file to avoid data loss in unwanted circumstances.
- Press Windows + R to get the Run command dialog box and type appwiz.cpl in the text box.
- Press Enter, and you will get the list of all the programs on your Windows operating system.
- Double-click QuickBooks Desktop and proceed with the instructions on the screen to completely uninstall the QB software.
- Run QuickBooks Tool Hub and go to the Installation Issues tab and select Clean Install Tool.
- Follow the instructions given by the Clean Install Tool, and it will get rid of any residual files left after removing QuickBooks.
- Download the correct version of your QuickBooks program and run the setup file to begin the installation.
- Fill in all the necessary info required to activate the product and re-try to access the company file.
Follow step 5 Perform a Clean Installation of QuickBooks Desktop on Windows using Clean Install Tool from our article on QuickBooks Error 1328 for detailed instructions.
If you are still unable to use QuickBooks because the firewall is blocking the QBDBMgrN service or there is an issue with the server hosting the file in multi-user mode, we suggest you get in touch with us Sometimes it becomes complex to resolve errors with QuickBooks Database Server Manager Stopped, and we need to use advanced tools. Our certified experts deal with such errors regularly and can provide you an instant solution in the shortest time possible.